Staying with Family/Friends for Business Travel

Staying with Family and Friends

Staying with family and/or friends while on a business trip is allowed if you follow all three of these rules:

Rule 1: Family and friends may rent a room or entire house/apartment for no more than 14 days during a calendar year to earn the rent tax-free.

Rule 2:  Family and friends must personally live at the property being rented for more than 14 days.

Rule 3: You must pay a fair market rental rate.

If you pay your family and/or friends more than $600 during a calendar year, you must report the total of the business rents to the IRS. In turn, your family/friends will report this income on their tax return on Schedule E and report this income in the expense section on Schedule E as well with a supporting statement.

Because you take the business deduction for your travel, your family/friends should also charge sales and/or occupancy taxes. Paying these taxes adds proof of the room’s rental.

If you would like to learn more about renting from family/friends, please call Susan at 630.523.5762. For more helpful tips on becoming a highly profitable business owner, check out Highpoint Advisory Services.


More Posts

Employees working in multiple states

Employees working in multiple states

Do you have employees working in multiple states? Employees who are working in multiple states create two key issues: Which state(s) should your business withhold

Send Us A Message